Hastings Access Sub-Committee

 

Business Paper

 

date of meeting:

 

Monday, 11 November 2013

location:

 

Function Room,

Port Macquarie-Hastings Council,

17 Burrawan Street,

Port Macquarie

time:

 

2.00pm


Hastings Access Sub-Committee

 

CHARTER

 


 

 

(a)     To advise Council regarding issues of access and facilities for persons with disabilities to all public areas and public buildings within the Hastings Local Government area.

 

(b)     To provide expert advice and recommendations, including pre-lodgement advice on building and development applications relating to public buildings, where necessary.

 

(c)     To develop guidelines for assessing building and development applications relating to private buildings.


Hastings Access Sub-Committee

 

ATTENDANCE REGISTER

 

Member

11/02/13

11/03/13

08/04/13

13/05/13

17/06/13

08/07/13

Councillor Rob Turner

Alternate - Councillor Lisa Intemann

P

A

P

 

P

A

 

P

A

 

P

A

 

A

A

 

Guide Dogs NSW

P

P

P

P

P

P

Access Building Designer

P

P

P

A

P

P

Wauchope Seniors

A

A

A

P

A

A

Physical Disability

P

 

 

X

P

X

Port Macquarie & Vision Impairment

 

 

P

 

P

P

 

P

 

Port Macquarie Access

P

P

A

A

X

P

Camden Haven Access

P

P

P

A

P

P

Care & Mobility

P

P

P

P

P

 

A

Hastings Macleay Community Transport

A

P

A

X

A

 

A

Wauchope Access

A

A

P

P

A

P

Education & Access

P

P

P

P

P

P

PMHC Aged & Disability Officer

P

P

P

P

P

P

 

Member

09/09/13

14/10/13

 

 

 

 

Councillor Rob Turner

Alternate - Councillor Lisa Intemann

P

A

P

 

 

 

 

 

Guide Dogs NSW

P

A

 

 

 

 

Access Building Designer

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

Wauchope Seniors

A

A

 

 

 

 

Physical Disability

A

X

 

 

 

 

Port Macquarie & Vision Impairment

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

Port Macquarie Access

P

A

 

 

 

 

Camden Haven Access

P

A

 

 

 

 

Care & Mobility

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

Hastings Macleay Community Transport

X

X

 

 

 

 

Wauchope Access

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

Education & Access

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

PMHC Aged & Disability Officer

P

P

 

 

 

 

 

 

Key: P =  Present

         A  =  Absent With Apology

         =  Absent Without Apology

 


Hastings Access Sub-Committee Meeting

Monday, 11 November 2013

 

Items of Business

 

Item       Subject                                                                                                      Page

 

01           Acknowledgement of Country............................................................................ 1

02           Apologies......................................................................................................... 1

03           Confirmation of Minutes.................................................................................... 1

04           Disclosures of Interest....................................................................................... 8

05           Business Arising from Previous Minutes........................................................... 12

06           General Business............................................................................................. 15  

 


AGENDA                                               Description: Governance Strap.jpgHastings Access Sub-Committee      11/11/2013

Item:          01

Subject:     ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY

 

"I acknowledge that we are gathered on Birpai Land. I pay respect to the Birpai Elders both past and present. I also extend that respect to all other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people present."

 

 

Item:          02

Subject:     APOLOGIES

 

RECOMMENDATION

That the apologies received be accepted.

 

 

Item:          03

Subject:     CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

Recommendation

That the Minutes of the Hastings Access Sub-Committee Meeting held on 14 October 2013 be confirmed.

 


pmhc_logo_VER_smallMINUTES                                                                                                      Hastings Access

                                                                                                          Sub-Committee Meeting

                                                                                                                                  14/10/2013

 

 

 

PRESENT

 

Members:

 

Councillor Rob Turner (Chairperson)

Brian Bucket - Access Building Designer

Max Waters - Port Macquarie & Vision Impairment

Nik Sandeman-Allen - Care & Mobility

Phil White - Wauchope Access

Sharon Beard - Education & Access

David Purnell - PMHC (for Aged & Disability Officer)

 

Other Attendees:

Paul Bailey – PMHC Facilities Officer
Elizabeth Rose - Observer
Elizabeth Conroy - Observer

 

 

The meeting opened at 2.10pm.

 

 

01       ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY

The Acknowledgement of Country was delivered.

 

 

 

02       APOLOGIES

CONSENSUS:

 

That the apologies received from George Payne - Wauchope Access, Helen Booby - Port Macquarie Access, Lyndal Bosman - Guide Dogs NSW, Julie Priest - PMHC Aged & Disability Officer and Mike Ipsen - Camden Haven Access be accepted.

 

 

03       CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES

CONSENSUS:

That the Minutes of the Hastings Access Sub-Committee Meeting held on 9 September 2013 be confirmed.

 

 

04      DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

 

There were no disclosures of interest presented.

 

 

05       BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

 

5.1     Yellow Brick Road:

 

No further information regarding the project was available from Council at this time.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

1.    That Council inform Committee of the start date of the footpath construction

2.    That Council inform the Committee of the extent of stencilling that can be achieved within the budget.

 

 

5.12   Aldi Car Park:

 

Brian Bucket has been ill and as a result has not yet finished the draft Australian Standards letter for the chair to sign.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

Brian Bucket to complete the draft and send to Julie Priest.

 

 

5.14   Access Friendly Project:

 

A copy of the letter sent to the Hastings Coop regarding their new status of Access Friendly and a photo of the Access Committee visit to IGA Growers was circulated to all.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

Clr Turner to contact Port Central Management and discuss opportunity for Access Committee to visit retail stores.

 

 

5.17Access Requests:

 

5.17.1 There was no information available from Council re the Risk Assessment to be carried out on the proposal of a portable ramp to access the Settlement Point Ferry & discussions with Council’s insurers.

 

 

CONSENSUS:          

 

Council to provide further information re the risk assessment and discussions with Council’s insurers.

 

5.17.2  Brian Bucket has discussed with the Town Centre Masterplan Committee about Shared Zone signs in Clarence Street and advised that the Masterplan Review will be completed in 8 weeks.

 

5.17.3  Committee advised that the disabled parking space at Rebel Sport has been  painted out and requested Council to pass to Development & Environment as a compliance issue.

 

CONSENSUS:          

 

Development & Environment to be informed of compliance issue of painted-out disabled parking space at Rebel sport.  Provide update at next meeting.

 

5.17.4  Nik advised that the handrail at the lighthouse new staircase was to be constructed by Council.

 

CONSENSUS:          

 

Confirm that Council will be constructing the handrail on the new staircase at the lighthouse.

 

5.17.5  The need for pedestrian crossings on Lord Street (between Gordon Street and Hill Street) and Findlay Avenue (near Garden Village) was discussed and considered to be a safety risk to be brought to the attention of Council’s Road Safety Officer.

 

CONSENSUS:          

 

The safety issues of no pedestrian crossings on Lord Street (between Gordon Street and Hill Street) and Findlay Avenue (near Garden Village) to be brought to the attention of Council’s Road Safety Officer.

 

5.17.6  Parking at the Wauchope Hospital, Palliative Care Unit, loss of a disabled parking space, would be dangerous to relocate to grounds of palliative care unit as it is a dangerous pedestrian exit to the street. Nik recommends a layback to be constructed for drop-offs. Did the Committee see plans for the DA?

 

CONSENSUS:

Recommend a meeting of stakeholders with Nik Sandeman-Allen and Council to discuss the issues and options to alleviate this issue.

 

 

06       General Business

 

06.01     Update from Facilities Officer:

 

Paul Bailey, Council’s Facilities Officer, Building Services provided updates about recent works.

 

-       Wauchope Indoor Stadium - accessible amenities, the internal door has been removed, there is now clear access into the toilet, now compliant.

-       Sancrox - works to start in 2 weeks to convert part of the canteen to accessible amenities. Paul asked if it will go on the MLAC locking system. Log Wharf Reserve, the cost will be $10,800.

-       Stair Nosings - Nik and Brian to check the ones installed and report back. Paul has more available to be installed.

-       Glasshouse Auto Doors reprogramming - Paul asked if they are now working to the satisfaction of the Committee, Brian responded that they are. Paul asked if the Committee wishes to reprogram the other glasshouse auto doors at a cost of $6000.

-       Remaining DDA funds are $52,800, less $15,000 for Sancrox and $6,000 for the Glasshouse doors. Paul suggested scooter recharging points at Wauchope or Laurieton.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

1.         Nik and Brian to report back re the suitability of the installed stair nosings.

2.         Committee agrees to spend $6000 to reprogram the other glasshouse doors.

3.         The Committee is to prioritise the remaining stair nosings at the next meeting.

4.         The Committee is to prioritise the remainder of the DDA money at the next meeting.

 

 

06.02     Beach Wheelchair:

 

The September 18 launch of Council’s Beach Wheelchair was reviewed favourably by the Committee. No further action required.

 

 

06.03     Plans for International Day of People with Disability:

 

Suggestions were a wheelchair cavalcade, Brian suggested a Bago Magic skit with a film. Nik suggested mobility scooter rides for kids, possibly a race around the Glasshouse Forecourt. Could the Beach Wheelchair be obtained for the day? Councillor Turner suggested a Ukulele performance similar to the Beach Wheelchair launch.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That plans for International Day of People with Disability be confirmed at the next meeting

 

 

 

 

 

 

06.04     Development Application Reviews:

 

The Committee couldn’t remember reviewing Das for some time, asked what is the process/mechanism to trigger their review?

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That Julie Priest to advise the process at the next meeting.

 

 

06.05     Layback at Horton Street Taxi Cab Rank:

 

Taxi Driver requested a layback on Horton Street cab rank and a hand rail. Councillor Turner suggested a project to workshop and plan re the rear entry of Port Central, involving a working party. Aerial views requested.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That aerial views be available at the next meeting for the Committee.

 

 

06.06     Boardwalk Projects:

 

Phil suggested a boardwalk, Waniora Parkway lilly ponds. Another suggested project - a review of walks/boardwalks around Port Macquarie, start with Kooloonbung Creek and Sea Acres, Phil and another Committee member to inspect.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That Phil White provide an update at the next meeting.

 

 

06.07     Retail Renovation:

 

Retail renovation, when does it require a DA compliant toilet?

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That Julie Priest discuss with DA Officer and advise at the next meeting.

 

 

David Purnell left the meeting at 2.40pm, Councillor Turner took the remaining minutes.

 

 

06.08     Pedestrian Crossing on Lake Road:

 

Nik enquired if there has been a previous request by the Committee for a crossing on Lake Road? If not, can we ask whether it can/will be considered?

 

 

 

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That Brian Bucket’s design plan for Lake Road be forwarded to the relevant Council officers for their feedback.

 

 

06.09     Bench Seating:

 

What is the status of the request for a seat outside Inner Vision on Cnr William and Grant Sts? Can the Committee make a request for additional seating for the bus stop outside the Macquarie Hotel on Clarence Street?

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That an update on bench seating requests be provided at the next meeting.

 

 

06.10     Busways:

 

Discussion about disability friendly buses led by Phil White.

 

CONSENSUS:

 

That the Committee write to Busways to clarify the number of buses in the LGA that currently comply with disability access, which routes they are on and what is the timetable on upgrading all buses to comply with legislation? (Phil)

 

 

06.11     Trailer Parking - Port Macquarie Golf Club:

 

Nik brought up an issue with parking of trailers at Port Macquarie Golf Club. The Committee agreed this isn’t a Council issue and no further action is required.

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 4.10pm.

 

 

 

 

 


AGENDA                                               Description: Governance Strap.jpgHastings Access Sub-Committee      11/11/2013

Item:          04

Subject:     DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

 

RECOMMENDATION

 

That Disclosures of Interest be presented

 

DISCLOSURE OF INTEREST DECLARATION

 

 

Name of Meeting:     ………………………………………………………………………..

 

Meeting Date:           ………………………………………………………………………..

 

Item Number:            ………………………………………………………………………..

 

Subject:                      ………………………………………………………………………..

                                    …………………………………………………….……………...…..

 

 

I, ..................................................................................... declare the following interest:

 

 

        Pecuniary:

              Take no part in the consideration and voting and be out of sight of the meeting.

 

 

        Non-Pecuniary - Significant Interest:

              Take no part in the consideration and voting and be out of sight of the meeting.

 

        Non-Pecuniary - Less than Significant Interest:

              May participate in consideration and voting.

 

 

For the reason that:  ....................................................................................................

 

.......................................................................................................................................

 

 

 

Signed:  .........................................................................  Date:  ..................................

 

 

Growth Bar b&w(Further explanation is provided on the next page)


 

Further Explanation

(Local Government Act and Code of Conduct)

 

A conflict of interest exists where a reasonable and informed person would perceive that a Council official could be influenced by a private interest when carrying out their public duty. Interests can be of two types: pecuniary or non-pecuniary.

 

All interests, whether pecuniary or non-pecuniary are required to be fully disclosed and in writing.

 

Pecuniary Interest

 

A pecuniary interest is an interest that a Council official has in a matter because of a reasonable likelihood or expectation of appreciable financial gain or loss to the Council official. (section 442)

 

A Council official will also be taken to have a pecuniary interest in a matter if that Council official’s spouse or de facto partner or a relative of the Council official or a partner or employer of the Council official, or a company or other body of which the Council official, or a nominee, partner or employer of the Council official is a member, has a pecuniary interest in the matter. (section 443)

 

The Council official must not take part in the consideration or voting on the matter and leave and be out of sight of the meeting. (section 451)

 

Non-Pecuniary

 

A non-pecuniary interest is an interest that is private or personal that the Council official has that does not amount to a pecuniary interest as defined in the Act.

 

Non-pecuniary interests commonly arise out of family, or personal relationships, or involvement in sporting, social or other cultural groups and associations and may include an interest of a financial nature.

 

The political views of a Councillor do not constitute a private interest.

 

The management of a non-pecuniary interest will depend on whether or not it is significant.

 

Non Pecuniary – Significant Interest

 

As a general rule, a non-pecuniary conflict of interest will be significant where a matter does not raise a pecuniary interest, but it involves:

(a)   A relationship between a Council official and another person that is particularly close, for example, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, lineal descendant or adopted child of the Council official or of the Council official’s spouse, current or former spouse or partner, de facto or other person living in the same household.

(b)   Other relationships that are particularly close, such as friendships and business relationships. Closeness is defined by the nature of the friendship or business relationship, the frequency of contact and the duration of the friendship or relationship.

(c)   An affiliation between a Council official an organisation, sporting body, club, corporation or association that is particularly strong.

 

If a Council official declares a non-pecuniary significant interest it must be managed in one of two ways:

1.     Remove the source of the conflict, by relinquishing or divesting the interest that creates the conflict, or reallocating the conflicting duties to another Council official.

2.     Have no involvement in the matter, by taking no part in the consideration or voting on the matter and leave and be out of sight of the meeting, as if the provisions in section 451(2) apply.

 

Non Pecuniary – Less than Significant Interest

 

If a Council official has declared a non-pecuniary less than significant interest and it does not require further action, they must provide an explanation of why they consider that the conflict does not require further action in the circumstances.

SPECIAL DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY INTEREST DECLARATION

 

 

By

[insert full name of councillor]

 

 

In the matter of

[insert name of environmental planning instrument]

 

 

Which is to be considered at a meeting of the

[insert name of meeting]

 

 

Held on

[insert date of meeting]

 

 

PECUNIARY INTEREST

 

 

Address of land in which councillor or an  associated person, company or body has a proprietary interest (the identified land)i

 

 

Relationship of identified land to councillor

[Tick or cross one box.]

 

Councillor has interest in the land (e.g. is owner or has other interest arising out of a mortgage, lease trust, option or contract, or otherwise).

 

Associated person of councillor has interest in the land.

 

Associated company or body of councillor has interest in the land.

 

MATTER GIVING RISE TO PECUNIARY INTEREST

 

 

Nature of land that is subject to a change

in zone/planning control by proposed

LEP (the subject land iii

[Tick or cross one box]

 

The identified land.

 

Land that adjoins or is adjacent to or is in proximity to the identified land.

Current zone/planning control

[Insert name of current planning instrument and identify relevant zone/planning control applying to the subject land]

 

Proposed change of zone/planning control

[Insert name of proposed LEP and identify proposed change of zone/planning control applying to the subject land]

 

Effect of proposed change of zone/planning control on councillor

[Tick or cross one box]

 

Appreciable financial gain.

 

Appreciable financial loss.

 

 

 

 

 

Councillor’s Signature:  ……………………………….   Date:  ………………..


 

 

Important Information

 

This information is being collected for the purpose of making a special disclosure of pecuniary interests under sections 451 (4) and (5) of the Local Government Act 1993.  You must not make a special disclosure that you know or ought reasonably to know is false or misleading in a material particular.  Complaints made about contraventions of these requirements may be referred by the Director-General to the Local Government Pecuniary Interest and Disciplinary Tribunal.

 

This form must be completed by you before the commencement of the council or council committee meeting in respect of which the special disclosure is being made.   The completed form must be tabled at the meeting.  Everyone is entitled to inspect it.  The special disclosure must be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i.   Section 443 (1) of the Local Government Act 1993 provides that you may have a pecuniary interest in a matter because of the pecuniary interest of your spouse or your de facto partner or your relativeiv or because your business partner or employer has a pecuniary interest. You may also have a pecuniary interest in a matter because you, your nominee, your business partner or your employer is a member of a company or other body that has a pecuniary interest in the matter.

ii.  Section 442 of the Local Government Act 1993 provides that a pecuniary interest is an interest that a person has in a matter because of a reasonable likelihood or expectation of appreciable financial gain or loss to the person. A person does not have a pecuniary interest in a matter if the interest is so remote or insignificant that it could not reasonably be regarded as likely to influence any decision the person might make in relation to the matter or if the interest is of a kind specified in section 448 of that Act (for example, an interest as an elector or as a ratepayer or person liable to pay a charge).

iii.   A pecuniary interest may arise by way of a change of permissible use of land adjoining, adjacent to or in proximity to land in which a councillor or a person, company or body referred to in section 443 (1) (b) or (c) of the Local Government Act 1993 has a proprietary interest—see section 448 (g) (ii) of the Local Government Act 1993.

iv.   Relative is defined by the Local Government Act 1993 as meaning your, your spouse’s or your de facto partner’s parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, lineal descendant or adopted child and the spouse or de facto partner of any of those persons.

 

 


AGENDA                                              Description: Governance Strap.jpgHastings Access Sub-Committee      11/11/2013

Item:          05

Subject:     BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

Item:

5.1

Date:

12 March 2012

Subject:

Yellow Brick Road

Action Required:

1.     That Council inform committee of the start date of the footpath construction.

2.     That Council inform the committee of the extent of stencilling that can be achieved within the budget.

Current Status:

Provide  update  at  November meeting.

 

Item:

5.12

 

14 May 2012

Subject:

Aldi Car Park

Action Required:

That Brian Bucket will provide draft Australian Standards letter to Julie Priest for Chair to sign.

Current Status:

Discuss at November meeting.

 

Item:

5.14

 

14 June 2012

Subject:

Access Friendly Project

Action Required:

1.                  1.          Clr Turner to contact Port Central Management and discuss opportunity for Access Committee to visit retail stores.

2.                  2.          Schedule visit to next retailers.

 

Discuss at October meeting.

 

Item:

5.17

 

14 October 2013

Subject:

Access Requests

Action Required:

1.     Update about risk assessment to be carried out on the proposal of a portable ramp to access the Settlement Point Ferry & discussions with Council’s insurers.

 

2.     Brian Bucket has discussed with the Town Centre Masterplan Committee about Shared Zone signs in Clarence Street and advised that the Masterplan Review will be completed in 8 weeks.

 

3.     D&E to be informed of compliance issue of painted-out disabled parking space at Rebel sport. Provide update at next meeting.

 

4.     Council construction of handrail on the new staircase at the lighthouse.

 

5.     The safety issues of no pedestrian crossings on Lord Street (between Gordon Street and Hill Street) and Findlay Avenue (near Garden Village) to be brought to the attention of Council’s Road Safety Officer.

 

6.     Parking at the Wauchope Hospital, Palliative Care Unit.

 

7.     Town Beach stair nosings - Nik and Brian to check the ones installed and report back. Paul Bailey has more available to be installed.

 

8.     Committee to prioritise $31.8k remaining DDA funds. Suggestion recharging points at Wauchope and Laurieton.

 

9.     Plans for International Day of People with Disability.

 

10. Process/mechanism to trigger DA review.

 

 

11. Taxi Driver requested a layback on Horton Street cab rank and a hand rail.

 

12.  Suggestion for a boardwalk, Waniora Parkway lilly ponds and a review of walks/boardwalks around Port Macquarie, start with Kooloonbung Creek and Sea Acres.

 

13. Retail renovation, when does it require a DA compliant toilet?

 

14. Pedestrian crossing on Lake Road and Brian’s design plan update.

 

15. Bench seating update - outside Inner Vision on Cnr William and Grant Sts, and additional seating for the bus stop outside the Macquarie Hotel on Clarence Street.

 

16.Busways update.

 

 

Discuss   at  November  meeting.

 

 

 

 


AGENDA                                               Description: Governance Strap.jpgHastings Access Sub-Committee      11/11/2013

 

 

Item:          06

 

Subject:     General Business

Presented by:  General Manager, Anthony Hayward